When it comes to makeup, Daniel Martin is the go-to guy. He's worked with Aveda on the relaunch of their cosmetic line, apprenticed for makeup royalty like Pat McGrath and Pati Dubroff, and built quite a unique resume on his own merit. From runway to red carpet, editorial to celebrity, Daniel's artistry runs the gamut. He's collaborated with designers like Chris Benz, Proenza Schouler, and Thakoon, and worked his makeup magic on A-list talent like Greta Gerwig, Chloe Sevigny, Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Bosworth.
Here, I ask Daniel my 3 favorite beauty-related questions.
INDUSTRY BREAK: I broke into the industry teaching makeup for Aveda back in 1997. That's where I really learned and experienced session work first hand. It was my destiny ever since.
5 MOST COVETED PRODUCTS:
1. KohGenDo Aqua Foundation: This foundation is my go-to for red carpet and television. Its finish is seamless on the skin and perfectly balanced in an HD world.
2. SKII Mask in Lotion: This treatment brings skin back to life when skin isn't at its best (especially for early morning call times). Revitalizes and de-puffs tired skin. Its amazing!
3. Hypnose Mascara by Lancome: Its jet black color and big brush makes any lash full without the clumps.
4. Chanel Lipstick in Audace: One of the best reds ever! Chic, sophisticated and timeless. Definite staple in my kit!
5. Nars Eyeshadow in Blondie: The best matte taupe to sculpt and shade with. I use this on eyes and cheeks.
FAVORITE LOOK YOU'VE EVER CREATED: One of my favorite looks to do was the look I did for Chris Benz's S/S 2010 show (above). We introduced our lipstick collaboration with Lancome then, and it sold out before it went into stores. Our friend Elettra Wiedemann was our inspiration behind the color.